Sunday, January 12, 2014

Tow #15 (ish?) When A Food Writer Can't Taste by Marlena Spieler


Everyone loves food. Or at least, I do. I love to cook and bake, and I have many kitchen accident stories to prove it. In fact, my skin is now partially blue because of my cooking skills, but that's a different story. The one that I've just read is much more horrifying. A woman who devoted her life and career to food (which sounds AMAZING, I think I need to re-evaluate my career and life plans) suddenly found herself in a horrific accident. This accident was not just traumatic, it was life altering. Luckily, Ms. Spieler survived the accident. However, her taste buds, and her memory of what food tastes like, were gone. I’m sure for ANY person, this would be a terrible accident. However, for this woman, a food blogger, it was one of the worst things that could happen.  Through this article, she wishes to express her pain, but also how she accomplishes her life. Little by little she works on her self. She has good days, and she has bad days. It’s an important lesson (what can’t you learn from food?) and her use of imagery helps express that. She states, “Tamales were as bland as porridge. Bananas tasted like parsnips and smelled like nail polish remover. It got no better as days went by. Gently sautéed mushrooms seemed like scorched bits of sponge. Red wine was just flat and sweet or unremittingly bitter.” Because of the imagery and raw description of what the author goes through all the time, readers can put themselves in her shoes, immerse themselves in the story. When she explains her story, we can relate. We remember the taste of chocolate, it’s rich velvety feel, and we taste the hot acrid mush that our author describes. The stark difference lets us feel sympathy and relate, and that is exactly what our author needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment