Sunday, November 24, 2013

TOW #10 A Look At The Book Business From The Inside by Daniel Menaker


Sorry this won't live up to my last tow. While I liked reading this, I love Survivor much more and won't be able to recreate the passion in my writing. However, since I felt like I would be letting you down if my blog didn't have a little spark to it, I picked this article strategically. As my grandmother would say, I gave it some "oomph." I've always been intrigued by words and books, and naturally I wanted to be a book editor for a long time (you'd be surprised how many romantic comedies are about those in the industry, FYI). This article, which I found on longreads, was all about the business and offered an inside view. Even though I already had high hopes, the article did not disappoint.
I guess it could be said that the author uses an anecdotal style to draw the audience in. I was already drawn in, but that’s beside the point. The use of anecdotes on a personal level lets readers explore many aspects of publishing, from getting into the industry to getting a book published. The author clearly desires a certain effect, he wants to cause a revelation in readers about the difficulty that goes into publishing and how cut-throat the industry can really be. However, I don’t think that this style of writing was the best way to go about it. It was choppy and confusing, and some of the pieces didn’t really connect. The author did his best to connect the different anecdotes (I think) but it just didn’t work. It seemed like several false starts that he couldn’t elaborate on and just threw them together. I know that this is an excerpt from his book, and I find myself wondering what the entire book looks like if this is just an excerpt. I hope for HIS publishers sake that it turns out a lot better.

No comments:

Post a Comment